Join our Free Webinar or visit our Cat Claims Resources Page to get started today.

Understanding All-Lines Adjuster License
This is a revised and updated version of an article originally published in April 2010.

Aspiring independent adjusters seeking licensure will at some point have to come to terms with selecting a type of adjuster license. Understanding the difference between the All-Lines adjuster license and say, Property & Casualty, or Fire, is important as you plan your career. So let’s take a closer look at this all-important license. 

Some states like New York have 6 or 7 different license types that very specifically define the lines of property or liability one is certified to handle. Making a choice in such circumstances isn’t difficult – simply select the license, such as Auto or Fire, that corresponds with the direction you wish to head in.

In other states like Texas and Florida, the lines are more blurred. Prospective licensees may face the option of selecting an All-Lines, Property & Casualty, or Workers’ Compensation Adjuster. Workers’ comp is self-explanatory but what is the difference between All-Lines and P&C?

Simply put, the All-Lines license includes Workers’ Comp certification and P&C does not. To completely unpack it, All-Lines includes property and casualty for residential, commercial, automobile, farm & ranch, inland marine, ocean marine, as well as Workers’ Comp. P&C covers all of the preceding with the exception of Workers’ Comp.  To get even more granular, lets quickly look at each of the lines mentioned:

  • Residential – property used primarily for dwelling
  • Commercial – property used for business, recreation, worship, etc (not for dwelling)
  • Auto – cars, motorcycles, and covered vehicles used for non-commercial transport
  • Farm & Ranch – dwelling, outbuildings, barns, animals, equipment, crops in storage (crops in the field typically require separate crop insurance)
  • Inland Marine – commercial trucks in transit and their cargo; docks, piers, bridges
  • Ocean Marine – sea vessels and their cargo (the first type of insurance as we know it today)
  • Workers’ Comp – workers injured while on the job

So, the All-Lines adjuster license certifies you to handle all of the above lines of insurance and really represents the most comprehensive license available. And while you may only handle residential or auto, you won’t be restricted to doing so because of your license. Many adjusters begin as generalists, handling residential, commercial, and/or auto only to later carve out their niche (i.e. recreational boat adjuster) as they advance in their career. In any case, it’s always good to have options!

How to Become an Insurance Adjuster in 5 Steps

Are you ready to pursue a rewarding career as a claims adjuster? See what it takes to get started and be successful.

Read the Article

Want to learn more about a career in claims?
Attend a free live Q&A webinar.

Learn what you need to know about getting licensed and going to work in our free webinar or call our Career Consultants at (214)329-9030.

Join Free Live Webinar

Want to Read More Like This?

Subscribe to our blog and stay up to date on industry news, licensing information, and career tips.